There are times when we drift away from things we love. Are you currently going through the non-reading phase? Or have you been there in the past? Do you think it could happen to you in the coming future? Don’t worry, you are not alone. It happens to every avid reader. Reasons could be other aspects of your life taking too much of your attention, leaving no time and thought for books. But you can’t let this go on for long.
There are various ways to resume your love for reading such as re-reading your favorite book, creating a new reading list, arranging your bookshelf, etc. But these are long and tedious processes and may not prove fruitful in re-igniting your love for reading. There is a short, sweet, and almost instant remedy- quotes! Quotes about reading surely stir something within you and point out what’s the important thing you are missing from your schedule. Here are 10 quotes by writers- both famous and not so famous- to make you say yes to your first love again.
1. “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.”George R.R. Martin
Notable works of the author – Song of Ice and Fire series.
2. “Books are a uniquely portable magic.”Stephen King
Notable works of the author- It, The Shining, Misery, Carrie, The Dark Tower series, Pet Sematary.
3. “No. I can survive well enough on my own – if given the proper reading material.”Sarah J. Maas
Notable works of the author- Throne of Glass series, Crescent City series.
4. “There is no Frigate like a Book To take us Lands away.”Emily Dickinson
Notable works of the author- “Hope” is the thing with feathers, ‘I’m Nobody! Who are you?’, ‘I heard a Fly buzz – when I died’, ‘I felt a Funeral, in my Brain’.
5. “We read to know we’re not alone.”William Nicholson
Notable works of the author- Wind On Fire trilogy, Noble Warriors Trilogy
6. “What really knocks me out is a book that, when you’re all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn’t happen much, though.”J.D. Salinger
Notable works of the author- The Catcher in the Rye, Franny and Zooey
7. “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”Jane Austen
Notable works of the author- Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Mansfield Park.
8. “Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they’ll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.”John Green
Notable works of the author- The Fault in Our Stars, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, Turtles All the Way Down.
9. “Reading is an exercise in empathy; an exercise in walking in someone else’s shoes for a while.”Malorie Blackman
Notable works of the author- Noughts & Crosses, Pig Heart Boy, Boys Don’t Cry
10. “Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”Voltaire
Notable works of the author- Candide, Dictionnaire philosophique, Zadig or Destiny.
Are you still in the denial mode? I hope not. Enjoy your sojourns with books. Let them take you to places you’ll love visiting and meet people you’ll enjoy spending time with.